Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ceremony reading

I always thought people who wrote their own wedding vows were really courageous for the following reasons.
1. I wouldn't know what to write
2. I really like the traditional vows and the idea of millions of people saying it before me (Even if 50% of them break it, i still like to think they really meant what was said ).
So keeping in line with spoken word my subject for today is ceremony reading. If you have a friend who writes poetry (or maybe yourself) you can ask them to write a poem to be read at your ceremony or you can go here and get some ideas on readings. Of course you should choose something beautiful and meaningful to both of you, it can even be something to remember someone that passed away and couldn't be there. Here are a few that I liked.



COLOSSIANS 3:12-14

Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, forbearing one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.




MY TRUE LOVE

Sir Phillip Sydney

My true love hath my heart and I have his,
By just exchange one for another given
I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss,
There never was a better bargain driven
My true love hath my heart and I have his.

His heart in me keeps him and me in one,
My heart in him his thoughts and senses guides
He loves my heart, for once it was his own,
I cherish his because in me it bides
My true love hath my heart and I have his.

ECCLESIASTES 4:9-12

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up. Again, if two lie together, they are warm; but how can one be warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him.



HOW DO I LOVE THEE

By Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, -- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! -- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Happy Planning!!!

No comments: